In India over 82 million people were above the age of 60 in 2004. This figure will go up to a whopping 177 million by 2025.
Since Independence, India has gained about 30 years of life expectancy.
The growth rate of the population of India is 1.93%, whereas the elderly population has a much higher growth rate of 3.01%
On the one hand the traditional Indian family support system is crumbling because:
Large sections of the working population are migrating either permanently or temporarily to other countries
Or the nature of their work keeps them out of their homes for a major portion of the day and week.
On the other, hand the greying population is more equipped than ever before - financially, physically, and emotionally - to choose a fulfilling, independent, and active lifestyle of a contributing member of society!
And this brings us to what is perhaps the most critical issue of all ...
Why should senior citizens not have a choice in how they want to spend the freedom of being 60?
And the answer is simple: Managed, hassle-free, proactive living for senior citizens in the form of "Athashri" - a revolutionary concept in the care of the elderly from the Paranjape Schemes !
Athashri began in 2001 as a housing project with a single-point focus - the senior citizen!
Right from choosing the sites, to designing layouts, to providing amenities, to the easy availability of medical care and attention, to the wide range of choices available for entertainment...
Every single aspect of life at Athashri has been designed around the unique requirements of the senior citizen! We have:
- Special lifts which have plenty of room for wheel chairs and stretchers
- Compact flats requiring minimum maintenance
- Non skid flooring
- Specially designed spacious toilets with grab bars
- Facilities designed to give residents maximum access with minimum physical trauma
- Large doors to accommodate wheel chairs
- A comfy lounge and cozy gardens
- A TV room
- A special canteen
- A yoga-cum-meditation room and a gymnasium specially equipped for the elderly
- Open air auditorium
- Doctors and nurses on call
- Tie-ups with hospitals in the vicinity